First of all, thanks to everyone for the birthday gifts and surprises. I love the grey skirt. And the shirts are beautiful, Grandpa and Grandmother, although I did exchange one of them for a smaller size. The scripture case is great, the stationery is fun, the jumping spider is frightening, the balloons are tough to blow up (but it's the thought that counts), and blow-ups are perfect, the CD is already being put to good use, and we all know what the Red Velvet cake is. TO. DIE. FOR. Which I won't, but I considered it. I hope I'm not forgetting anything. If I am, know that I appreciate even the things I did not mention, I just have a poor memory and feel so generously blessed that I can't keep track of all the blessings I'm receiving. Oh. Eli's Snoopy notebook. Good grief! You're still my sweet baboo. Maybe on Halloween you can sit out in the yard by your very own great pumpkin. What are you going to be for Halloween? Harry Potter? A ghost with eight eye holes like Charlie Brown? Someone from the Titanic? All good options. But I know what you're really going to be, Eli. BAPTIZED, the best thing of all.
Speaking of which, only one of the two baptisms actually took place, and I wasn't at it. One of them, the one that was supposed to happen between sessions on Saturday, got canceled because the investigator got cold feet. I hope it will happen at some other time. The other one did take place on Friday evening, but I didn't go because I had been sick all night. Let's not get graphic or anything, but let's just say I threw up all night long, rested all day, had only a half a sleeve of saltines and some ginger ale (thanks to my generous zone leaders), and absolutely no energy by the time the baptism was to take place. So we didn't leave the apartment at all that day, except to go to the mailbox and get my birthday package. Sorry to hear you were also sick, Cassidy. Yuck. It's the worst, but at least it was on the weekend when you could lay around and rest all day.
And listen to conference, which was amazing like always. My favorite was, again, Elder Holland. What a powerful testimony of the Book of Mormon! Somehow his talks get better every time. I also really enjoyed Elder Christofferson's talk, and I can see him becoming something of a cross between Elder Oaks and Elder Holland. Elder Callister's talk on Saturday was aimed right at many of the kinds of questions we often get from investigators about the godhead, a living prophet, and the Book of Mormon. Very exciting about a temple in Brigham City. You never can have too many in Utah. And Mark's mission getting one too? Perfecto! All in all, fabulous, uplifting, enlightening. Charles was there for the Sunday afternoon session, and Pai-Shan came to the Sunday morning session. Wow. Her life is so changed by the gospel. I just love to see her countenance shine with the light of her testimony.
But, unfortunately, I won't be seeing it very much longer. I'm being transferred. Actually, I'm excited for it. President Hansen says it'll be a new "adventure," and you know I'm always up for one of those, being the Nancy Drew girl that I am. Wednesday morning I leave for Tomball, Texas, a suburb of Houston. Actually, I know someone from there. Maurie Moline and I were studying German together at BYU. Now she's on a mission in Germany (Berlin, I think), and I'm serving a mission in her hometown. Small Mormon world, just like you said, Cassidy. My new companion will be Sister Kemp. I've never met her, but look forward to it. I'll keep you posted on my new address and everything. Until then, the mission office is the best bet for mail and other forms of correspondence. (By the way, Grandmother and Grandpa and other family, feel free to e-mail as often as you like. Just know that my reading time plus my writing time are limited to an hour, total.)
Love the story about Tyson dressed like Abraham Lincoln. It reminds me of several movies. First, isn't there a part in Kindergarten Cop when Arnold's entire class dresses up like Lincoln and recites the Gettysburg address? Of course, not probably the best movie for Eli to watch if his fear of fire drills is still alive. Also, it seems like there's a part in Little Rascals when the boys dress up with Lincoln-like beards and try to get a loan from Mel Brooks. I hope he's watched that movie by now. Of course, if he's busy reading Harry Potter, all other forms of media can be put on hold. Good for you, Eli. Reading Harry Potter. You are my brother, after all. I always knew it, though. Only a few more days until you are 8! I can hardly believe it.
Housekeeping items: I finally got my medicine this week. Let's just say it took many phone calls to get everything faxed to the right places. Also, the purchase ended up being for like 18 months worth of methotrexate, so you'll not have to worry about buying that again while I'm gone. That's also why the bill is a little steeper than usual. I'm not sure what happened, but I won't take more than my appropriate dose anyway, so everything should be fine. Also, I had to pay a minimal lab fee using the credit card. It was something like $34, so watch for that to come through.
As far as clothes go, everything is holding up well. I finally got to wear my rain jacket this week, and it makes me feel just like Nancy Drew in a stylish yet functional trenchcoat. I have plenty of preparation day clothes, so no need to worry there, and so far the weather here is barely like fall. It's about 70 today. So sorry about the snow, but not really jealous. Not one bit, in fact. Stay warm. Sit by the fireplace and enjoy some hot cocoa.
Did I call it or did I call it about Brazil and the Olympics? It should be historic, and Chicago really should wait until the U.S. economy rebounds before trying to host the most expensive sporting event on the planet.
Okay, finally some news from Texas. Other than being sick this week, we've been fairly productive. Some appointments were canceled by virtue of people not showing up for them, but because of this we were able to teach a man from Africa about the Book of Mormon. He seemed skeptical but interested, unlike some people who seem skeptical and argumentative. It's really important to learn to use the gift of discernment when deciding who really wants to know and who just wants to waste our time.
I had some excellent Southern experiences this week, both of them yesterday actually. First, we were at dinner with some members after the closing session of conference. They live out in the country and have a large, open backyard which is visible through many long windows from their dining room table. While we were eating dinner, the dad noticed a skunk wandering slowly across their lawn. From the safety of our indoor vantage point, we all watched intently as this critter skunked its way. It kept stopping and kind of walked in a zigzagged direction, as if it were disoriented. Then the dad said, "Maybe it has rabies." Ooh! Just at that moment, I felt like I was IN To Kill a Mockingbird. Calpurnia needed to get on the phone and say, "Missah Finch, Missah Finch. There's a mad dog down the street a piece, comin' right for us." In the end, we're not really sure if it had rabies or not, and no one shot it because it fell under their trampoline and was only a baby. If it did have rabies, it would probably die. No need to create a stink over something that turns out to be nothing.
And, maybe the best thing of all this week. I saw a blooming field of cotton! We were on our way out to visit a recent convert who lives WAY OUT IN THE COUNTRY, we're talking beyond the farm land. As we're zooming past the fields, I notice that many of them look like they have white flowers all over them. Closer inspection reveals them to be not flowers, but cotton puffs. We took some pictures with the beautiful Texas sunset in the background. I felt so truly Southern to finally see a field of cotton, but so truly foreign to the South to think it was something of a sight and not just a commonplace occurence. Oh well. I thought it was amazing. And it made me want to read Mildred D. Taylor books and watch Gone With the Wind. Two things for my TO DO list (along with the Corbin Bleu motocross movie...)
Much love,
Sister Whitney Sorensen
PS I'm starting to get used to the Sister Sorensen thing. Now it seems weird to be called Whitney. Is that really my name? I vaguely remember people calling me that in a past life...Oh well. I guess that comes with the territory also.
Monday, October 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment