13 must be a lucky number. Honestly, I'm jealous of your thirteen hours of rain. We have had very little, and all the Texas natives are complaining that this is the dryest summer in ten years. You can certainly tell the economic status of a house by it's front lawn. Send the rain our way if it continues, particularly if it keeps cooling things down. While we were teaching a less-active family this week, the dad told us that when he went on a walk with his sons, one of them said to him, "Dad, my hair is making water." There's a new euphemism for "sweating like a pig." Which it sometimes feels like I am.
But thirteen was lucky for me this week. We had about thirty minutes to tract before an appointment, so we said a prayer that the Spirit would guide us in the right direction. I felt that we should go to a building on our right. Sister Davis said that one of the doors had already been tried, but we would try the other three. The first one we knocked on: 13. And the lady let us in to teach her a short lesson. We got out in just the right time, too. We weren't sure if she was super interested, but it's at least a testimony that Heavenly Father knows His children. He knew she would let us in and that it would take the perfect amount of time.
But as for spiders: not so lucky! Just yesterday, I had to kill the first spider. The air conditioner in our apartment keeps turning on and off, so it's getting pretty warm in there consistently, making it a nice place for bugs. Anyway, we saw a spider on our entryway linoleum. Sister Davis ran and hid in the bathroom while I tried to kill it. It could JUMP! So weird. Wicked actually. But, you'll be proud to know I eventually conquered, demonstrating my superiority, at least according to Darwin's theory. And no, I did not jam my finger in the process. That lesson (so far) has only been learned once. (And I'm sorry Mark thought the special effects on "Something Wicked This Way Comes" were lame. The spider scene still freaks me out if I think about it at night. That movie is more about tone than special effects. All I can say is, at least it's not a glorified muppet movie like "Return of the Jedi." What a waste of Lucasfilm.)
While I'm thinking about it, I did send some letters last week, but they didn't get in the mailbox until Thursday afternoon, so it obviously took longer for them to arrive. I also got letters from friends this week: one from Erin (my writer center/study abroad compadre) and one from Brett, who did end up moving to Arizona.
Now I have a real question for you. WHAT does this sentence mean: "Sadly, we did know so we did not solicity."??? You wrote it in the middle of your paragraph about Mark subscribing to Sports Illustrated. I could be wrong, but I'm not sure "solicity" is even a word, although it should be. Perhaps a mixture of "solicit" and "felicity" (because if you had solicited the copy from him, you would be experiencing felicity), or "society" and "foolish" (because you were foolish not to ask him, just because you thought he might not want your society if he thought you only liked him for his magazines). Think on it and let me know. In any case, I'm pretty sure you were TRYING to say, "Sadly, we did not know, so we did not solicit." But speaking of Roger Federer on the cover of Sports Illustrated, I saw one this week. Not from Wimbledon (aka the Graveyard of Champions, aka what a morbid name, aka maybe they wanted to build a new stadium for the Olympics and this was a good excuse, aka that's still not a good enough reason to tear down Wimbledon's hallowed halls), but from the French Open. We were at the doctor's office, and there it was sitting on the table. A direct temptation to which, I might and will add, I did not yield. There it sat, and there it remains, despite the itching in my fingertips to examine the words penned about tennis greatness. The doctor was great. I went ahead and payed the fees. They were $185. I figured that was okay, since we had been throwing around huge numbers like $400-$500. She also said that I should just have my Sam's Club pharmacy address changed to here and then they can call in anything and get me some prescriptions. I'm pretty sure that should work; I'll let you know if I'm having any trouble. They said they monitor blood work every three months, especially since I've been on the same meds for so long.
Hooray for school. Here it started today, so tell everyone to enjoy their last week(s) of freedom knowing that others have already started once again. Also, today is Pai-Shan's baptism. We ended up moving it to tonight because one of the elders who originally taught her is leaving for home on Wednesday and wanted to be here. Monday was the only day that would work, so after much negotiation with the bishop, she will be baptized tonight at 5:30 CST (Central Standard Time, not College Station Time). She's made a big change from being nervous to tell anyone about her baptism to getting really excited. Last week, she didn't want us to "let the word out" that she was getting baptized, but yesterday at church she was talking to the Relief Society president about it and asking us for maps to the church so she could invite a friend or two. You know, I really feel that I needed to be here at this time to teach her. Not from any merits of my own, but from life experiences I have. For one thing, she's still taking English exams, so she needs help with grammar, and from working in the Writing Center I have a little experience in teaching that to Asian students. Also, she's been having a few health challenges, and something just tells me that no matter how small or large it is, I'll be able to testify to her of the healing power of the Atonement, something I know very well in my life.
We've had a few investigators drop us this week, but the work will continue no matter what. If I can remember faith always, and put aside all doubts in myself by trusting in the Lord, I know all will be well. Because right now, today, all is well. Tonight, Pai-Shan is getting baptized, and I cannot express my excitement. I can't quite find the word. And I feel so blessed. I've only been here for six weeks (on Wednesday). In fact, today is my two month mission birthday. It's hard to believe. If I didn't know it was true, I'm not sure I would.
Last but not least, we started doing service at a soup kitchen this week. We'll at least be doing it for the next three weeks. It's so amazing to see the joy even in the faces of those with almost nothing. I'm so glad I've already done a little service like that before, and I'm looking forward to going every week for as long as possible.
Keep me posted on the ANNIE situation. Did you end up becoming the producer? Auditions...always where the talented are separated from those-who-think-they-are-talented-because-they-know/are related to-the-big-wigs. Kind of like IFYAC Idol. Hey, now there's an idea...Just kidding. You would never get away with something that promoted such a loss of self-esteem. Not to get cheesy, but remember--both literally and figuratively--"The sun'll come out tomorrow."
Love and joy come to you,
Sister Whitney Mikell Sorensen
PS Nice bow tie, Conor.
PPS Sister Davis and I would like you to know that College Station is the Sonic capital of the world, and we often find ourselves craving a slush or such in the mid-afternoon. Does the offer for Sonic gift cards still stand? Many thanks in advance.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
whitney! (ok so you aren't reading this, but I'm sharing it anyway). A few months ago, Max was all wound up and scampering about before bedtime and came into the living room, patting his head and announcing: "I made water!" definitely a cute moment.
ReplyDelete