Howdy from College Station! Today school officially starts for fall semester at Texas A&M, nearby Blinn College, and I believe even BYU (Provo). Best of luck to Eli Sorensen, Second Grader extraordinaire! Be sure to take a lot of pictures.The craziest story of the week comes from our dinner appointment last evening. When Sister Painter picked us up, I noticed that the pen I carry in my scripture case was broken, bleeding ink everywhere, including all the way up my right elbow. I set it aside, thinking everything would be good until I could get to their house and wash up, but once I entered the bathroom I saw the real problem. My jumper was dotted with several large ink stains all up and down the bodice. We tried to get it out with the Tide To-Go stick, but the size of the stains was impractical for that. So I put some Shout stain stick on it, happy that the next day was laundry day. After dinner, Sister Davis was talking to Sister Painter about some things, so I helped their daughter Lindsay clean up and do the dishes. She and I are kindred spirits! I've never felt like I had a truer opportunity to apply that term. She's a junior in high school who wants to study English literature and be a writer. She loves "The Princess Bride," "Ella Enchanted," and "Pride and Prejudice." She recently discovered tennis by becoming obsessed with Wimbledon last year (although she slightly prefers Nadal to Federer; maybe I should say she is a kindred sister). She's even taking anatomy right now in high school. Needless to say, we just became instant friends. And to finish the story off, the ink stains all came out! We ended up sleeping at the Bryan sisters' apartment again because our AC still isn't working steadily. They have a washer and dryer. I sprayed on plenty more Shout! and rubbed it in super well, and through the magic of modern chemistry, my jumper looks good as new. Fabulous!
And just to add to the newsworthiness of yesterday, I also got my first bites from fireants. We were also at a member's house for lunch. This house wasn't so much "High Society" as a cross between the house on "Sabrina" and the Triple R Ranch. It was elegant yet country. They have their own pond, and we were out looking for turtles and frogs, not wearing shoes. As we walked away without spotting any creatures, I felt something on my foot. Looking down I saw three dozen red ants scurrying around my left foot. I swatted them away so fast! But the damage was already done. My foot started itching like crazy, and, sure enough, you can see two little spots where they got me, even through my nylons.
In other news, I discovered new evidence that the Jonas Brothers actually could be the Three Nephites. At least two of them anyway. Somewhere in 3 Nephi (I didn't write down the verse) where it lists all the apostles Jesus called while in America, two of them are actually named Jonas. Believe me, I'm too shocked to make this up. And since the three Nephites are three of those twelve, they could be named Jonas. Of course, Mormon was forbidden to write their names, but the possibility remains. I suppose the only question is, which Jonas bro is not a Nephite?
Cassidy, a few quick notes. The U.S. (Tennis) Open should be in September. I remember watching the final last year during my first few weeks of school. Roger defeated Andy Murray in straight sets. Consequently, the U.S. Open is the only Grand Slam Andy Roddick has ever won. There could be some tough competition this year, as always. And are you taking Biology this year? Sister Painter brother or brother-in-law is a professor at BYU-Idaho. Do you have a Brother Christensen? Just wondering; after all, it's a small world, and a smaller Mormon one. And congrats on receiving your Young Women medallion.
Last but obviously not least, Pai-Shan's baptism. It had all the craziness and excitement you would expect. Her toe nearly popped up, but they didn't have to do it again. She forgot to bring a towel, so we ended up borrowing a shirt from one of the sisters to dry her off. And then yesterday when she got the Holy Ghost, she practically skipped back to her seat. It was the best! The best. I'm pretty sure I can't stop smiling.Love from a "spiritual" yet Nancy Drew reading, card-playing missionary,
Sister Whitney Sorensen
*NOTE FROM MOM: She doesn't read Nancy Drew or play cards on her mission...it's just a reference from something I wrote to her earlier this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment