I hope you get the big e-mail I just sent with only pictures (mostly). Unfortunately, I couldn't attach the best picture of the week because it's on Sister Hoskins's camera, but have no fear, I'll find a way to get it to y'all. We met John Wayne this week! "How?" you ask. "How could you meet John Wayne, since he is dead?" We were tracting! We were tracting a street in a neighborhood, also trying to contact a former investigator to see if she'd like to learn with missionaries again. We didn't get in contact with her again, but at one house at the end of the street, there was a lifesize poster of John Wayne hanging up on the door that leads from the house to the garage. After we talked to the person inside, we asked if we could take a picture with it. So, I met John Wayne this week, and I have photographic proof. Rooster Cogburn and I bared our true grit together. I'll see if I can get a copy of the picture today and send it along.
In other news, still no investigators, but the work always moves forward. We'll keep trying, and in any case we're really having success with less-active families. We're getting in with a lot of them, and we're also dropping by on members a lot. We really think we need to get to know the whole ward in order to get them to all work together on this and build up the work in the area. Sister Hoskins really has a fire underneath her, determined to get it going again, and I'm glad to be her companion. She is great at talking to people and just keeping the conversation going. We are about to find the people who are prepared in this area. I just know it. I can feel it. We had interviews with President Hansen this week, something we do every six weeks, and I just felt so optimistic about the future that day. Some days are harder than others, but I am determined to keep going.
Now, about the weather. Yes, it has been very cold here the last four or five days. The humidity makes it feel much colder than it actually is, too, but the cold snap is almost over, so I don't think I'll need a warmer coat or a scarf or anything. I've been wearing my lovely rain coat everywhere, which is really more of a joy than a pain since I love it so much, and I just wear a sweater underneath to stay warm. I've also been wearing my gloves, and as long as I keep my hair down over my ears, I'm fine. I'm an Idaho girl. I've been through cold way worse than this. Suffice it to say, I don't think I'll be needing any additional winter-type clothes, but I'll keep you posted.
Hmmm, I feel like I don't have much to say this week, although everything's been good, and I have been writing it all down in my journal, so everything I can't remember when I'm sitting at a computer I can at least tell you later. Alex. He hasn't been to church in four weeks now, and we were really starting to get worried. We'd called him and called him. Last week, we were worried that he just didn't know about the time change, but he never called us back after we left like three messages. He wasn't at church yesterday either. But finally last night we found out that the Elders Quorum secretary saw him at Walmart and learned that he (Alex) is apparently moving to Russia! I still haven't heard that from Alex himself, but at least we know he's not missing in action (MIA) or absent without leave (AWOL).
Love the picture of Cassidy saying "Hasta Luego" to Elder Tobias. He'll love it. I also finally got to see the pictures of Christmas morning and Beatles Rockband. Too cool for words. What's with the magic wands? Did they come with Harry Potter on DVD or something? Cassidy, you make a good-looking Ringo, as does Eli, but why are Madeline (sp? too many ways to spell that name anymore) and Cassidy being attacked by Kim? Is she Yoko or something? Any word on when Mr. Chicago is putting in his mission papers? And is Conor just living at home until he hops the country to the MTC and then to Lithuania?
Also, Elise. I'm so glad to hear she's on her way to London. She'll love it. Every minute of it. Just think. Who'dve thought I would be the trailblazer for Ronnie and Elise to go to the London Theater Study Abroad program? Do you know if Elise ever got my letter? I sent her one like three months ago, but I never got one back. Life as a college co-ed is busy, I know, but did she at least receive it? And how is Miss Ronnie? Use my facebook to find out, if you are not yourself her FBF (facebook friend).
I definitely think doing sealings at the temple counts, and doing initiatories is also wonderful. You absolutely have the right to change it up, Mom, so do it. Speaking of which, love the irony in the fact that my at home desk and my former desk both had weights in them and needed to be moved recently. I'm even more glad to hear that my desk made it's Idaho Falls debut and was not only on stage, but was the stage for a dance number by Lily St. Regis and Rooster and Miss Hannigan. Fab. U. Lous. You could have had them sign it, but after a while it might have gotten old. Of course, they could always do like some missionaries do and carve their names into the drawer. Or, come to think of it, my other desk, the one that got moved with thirty additional pounds, had several names carved into the desktop itself. So signing with a sharpie would have been nicer, since the desk remains flat when you don't carve into the surface.
Doctor: yes, I am going to the doctor on Thursday. I'm a little nervous, but I know I can assert myself and get my position across. It's not like he can do the procedure without my consent.
Oh, and to further clarify the apartment situation. Apartment #1 in College Station burned down, so we moved to #2 in the same complex. #3 was when I moved to Tomball. #3 is also Cobblecreek. #4 is when we moved and the hilarious desk incident occurred. I currently live in #4 which is on State Hwy 249 and is called the Park and Spring Creek, not Cobblecreek.
Okay, time's up. I hope this week's letter wasn't too boring.
Love,
Sister Whitney Sorensen
P.S. I just got gum all over my blue skirt from sitting at this computer desk at the library. Hopefully ice will get it off. If not, it was only ten dollars. But I really like it! Pray for it. Last week, Sister Hoskins had a skirt incident. She sprayed what she thought was oxiclean, but was actually bleach in an oxiclean bottle on her blue skirt, and when it started turning pink she screamed. We called the elders to jokingly ask if they could bless the bleach out of a skirt. She ended up bleaching the whole thing pink, and it doesn't look too shabby. I wonder if they've ever blessed the gum off of a skirt...
Monday, January 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment