(I mentioned recently to Whitney in a letter that the original Rainman, Kim Peek, had passed away. The girls sometimes call Eli "Rainman" since he retains every bit of information ever known to man. Thus, the rainman reference in the letter.)
One example of genius is Rainman. I heard from someone recently that he had died, but now I can't remember who said it. This mystery person was also saying that Rainman was a Latter-day Saint and had his scriptures memorized. Imagine that. I'm not really sure if that's true though. I'm sorry to hear that he died also. I don't think I've ever actually seen Rainman, but I know I've seen the scene (how's that for internal rhyme?) where Dustin Hoffman counts cards and says to Tom Cruise, "The Queens. There are a lot of them."
Another example of genius is my brother, the P.A.C.E. testing champion of the world. I had no doubt in my mind when you said that he had taken the test that he would pass with flying colors (which is an expression that makes no sense, but kind of makes a nice image in my mind). The boy can do really difficult multiplication tables, sometime even more than his teacher can do without a calculator. (Eli can do them without a calculator and the teacher cannot. That's a double entendre.) The boy knows the word "embroidery." I would say that P.A.C.E. was a great program for me. I was obviously never in it in 3rd and 4th grades, but I loved having that one day a week to go and do something a little different from the rest of the week. I made really good friends from all over the school district, and I got a chance to stretch my skills in the learning department. I think he would like it, but I wouldn't say it's absolutly essential if you want him to be happy. Maybe he just wants to be a regular student. I'd say, let him give it a try if he wants to. Congratulations, genius brother! I love you the moster more!
But the prime example of genius this week is me. I finally got a haircut. A. Maze. Ing. I love it. It looks about like it did when Witney's mom gave me one. Short and flirty and fun. The bangs are back to their fabulous selves.
Hmmm. We are kind of on a time crunch today, so I have to write quickly. Thanks for the Olympic news. I'm trying to decide if I want you to tell me who wins things. I probably won't be able to say no. Let me know about cool people like Evan Lysacek and Shawn White and anybody new who comes along. Maybe even tell me about uncool people like Bode Miller and Johnny Weir(d) and Bode Miller. Are there any good female skaters? You know I'd love to be able to witness it with my own eyes, but if the vcr's not working, maybe I'll just ask you to buy the 2010 Vancouver highlights DVD or something as a Valentine's gift.
Speaking of which, my Valentine's Day requests are: 1. a picture of the Idaho Falls temple. Nothing elaborate. Something transportable. Just a picture of my temple. 2. More music. We always need more music. Classical is nice and acceptable. If you burn something, could you send the version of "Lead, Kindly Light" from the Pioneer Sesquecentenial (sp?)? And if you are able to find the "Together Forever" soundtrack on CD, we wouldn't say no. And I'm not being sarcastic in either this sentence or the last one. Really. Ugh. That's the trouble with sarcasm. When you don't intend it, it still sounds sarcastic.
That's all for this week. Sorry it's so short. Martin Luther King Jr. took up our time. We have to go find people to teach.
Love,
Sister Whitney Sorensen
Tuesday, January 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment