Tuesday, March 9, 2010

3-8-10 "March is in the air..."

Thanks for the pictures. I love the ones of Eli playing the piano. He's my little maestro. I think there's a similar picture of him playing the piano when he's a baby. It could be like a visual representation of the progression of his musical talents. Macy and Jace look so grown up! He looks just like Cade, and her hair is getting so long! Love, love, love the vocabulary choices he's making. That's my boy! Cassidy and Conor look great in their Alice in Wonderland glasses, although I'm not sure how a big screen movie in 3-D would be. I'm not really sure I'm keen on the idea. I think it would make me seasick, personally, but hopefully it was good.

Also, many congratulations to Miss Bullock for her big win. She's always been my favorite, and I'm certain it was well-deserved and that she delivered a classy speech in a classy dress, because she's just that kind of classy lady. Or so I hope. No worries about letting me know about "worldly" things. I get excited for them, but it doesn't really take my mind off the work. I almost think that for me, personally, it would take my mind off of it more NOT knowing. Like when I ask about tennis and stuff. Be sure to keep me posted if you can about March Madness. I realized this week that this is the first time since I started doing it in seventh grade for Mr. Patterson's class that I won't be able to fill out a bracket for the NCAA tournament. Oh well. No biggie. Life goes on.

Speaking of which, I can hardly believe it is already March. Where does time go? February seemed like kind of a slow-moving month, but March promises to be more fast-paced and exciting. We are still working endlessly on finding people to teach, trying to change up a few things so that we can have more time to work and find. This week was one of the hardest of my mission so far. We knocked and knocked and knocked and knocked, and only had just a few long conversations. Neither of those individuals became investigators, and we are having a really hard time getting in touch with the investigators that we do have. I know Satan is trying to hedge up our ways, but I'm trying to throw his discouraging and doubt-ridden thoughts aside the moment they arise. Saturday and Sunday were especially hard days. I started thinking I was a failure in this area, that I haven't done anything good or worthwhile since I got here, and that I should just give up. Now, who does that sound like? I have come to realize that any extreme thought usually come from Satan. Ideas like "you've done nothing" or "the Lord cannot use you." I really have to fight them off because sometimes they feel so enticing and, although it sounds strange, comforting. There's something oddly pacifying about feeling you've been judged and found worthless, so you don't have to try anymore. But I know that that is not what I want, not what would make me happy. So I just have to take the time to banish those thoughts and temptations. And I tell myself that He wouldn't be tempting me if there wasn't a great work in store for me to accomplish for the Lord. Why would he come to Joseph Smith in the sacred grove if he didn't see Joseph as a threat to his kingdom? I must be doing something right, or he wouldn't be tempting me. So, to sum, thanks for your prayers. I can feel them. We will be blessed and guided to the right people and families. Keep me in your prayers.

Yesterday night was when things started turning up. We had dinner with our ward mission leader's family, and that was just calming and peaceful. He encouraged us and expressed great faith that we will be able to find success. Then we were able to visit a less-active couple that is really desiring to come back to church. They have eight cats, each with its own story and personality. I love it when we get to visit with them, because I am strengthened by their sincere faith and hope in the gospel. I feel blessed to be able to associate with them. And last, we got to visit with my favorite little recent convert family in the Spanish ward. The young girl we've been working with even made us chicken and rice. Delicious! Or, should I say, delicioso! As I was sitting there in their home, I watched Sister Hoskins and Sister Smith interact with the kids for a few minutes, and my mind wandered to the feelings in that home. The Spirit of the Lord is so...abundant there. It's not an overwhelming, slapped-in-the-heart by the Spirit kind of feeling. It's more like you walk in and five minutes later you're just happier and calmer and more peaceful than you've been in a long time. And it can only be attributed to the Spirit they invite into their home. Their home feels almost like a temple, helping me regain a perspective. At least it did yesterday when I was feeling so down on myself. Pure joy. It feels like a foretaste of the fruit of the tree of life. Even my minimal interactions with this family are one of the greatest blessings of my life. And I've done nothing to deserve them. I only know that I experience them, and I cannot find words for how precious they are to me.

Hmmm, it feels like I've come to the end of my letter, but I'm sure there are more things to say. I'm glad you are enjoying your fun events at the Colonial. Greetings to my favorite folks in Mackay. I love you both! Congratulations to Phil Crepeau. He can greet Minneapolis with a smile. And a million hoorays for Cody. He's still my brother, more than any elder I know on the mission who's ever felt like a friend and brother. I know he will bless many lives as a missionary.

Love to all,
Sister Whitney Mikell Sorensen

No comments:

Post a Comment