Before I forget, let me tell you that this Saturday is when we find out about whether or not we'll be transferred. I'm about 50/50 certain that I'll stay in Tomball, but I'd suggest sending all mail to the mission office just in case. Also, I have a package waiting for me at the Tomball office of the USPS as we speak, so rest assured that I have (almost) received it. I will send a letter to Aunt Lenore, and I should be sending a card this week. Laura Robinson sent me a check and a card for Christmas, so I'll be sending the check home. You can just put it in my checking account.
Now for funny story of the week number one. Sister Hoskins and I were at the elders' apartment complex, waiting for them to come out so we could drive to district meeting. We're just sitting in our car, studying the scriptures, minding our own business, but kind of watching for the elders to come out, too. As we're doing this, a young guy, early 20s, drives by in a white car. He looks like he thinks he's a pretty cool guy, and I think I said something to Sister Hoskins about that. But as he turns the corner, emblazoned across the back of his back window is this banner: www.NWHoustonChessClub.com. Not exactly what we were expecting? You could definitely say that. And while we're on the subject of chess, I'll ask if Eli has seen the episode of Even Stevens when Tom is in a big chess competition and Louis and Twitty come to cheer him on. Shirtless, if I remember correctly. Hil. Ar. I. Ous. All I can say is, if he can learn to do a Rubik's cube, he's smarter than I am, because my roommate Ana spent a long time last winter semester trying to teach me how. I could do some of it, but I never learned the final secret move that conquers the cube. Maybe when I get back he can teach me. In the meantime, it sounds like he's still a genius, and getting smarter all the time.
Miss Cassidy: It sounds like you had a busy week, what with becoming a full-time mother for a few days and trying to keep up on our boys in the Australian Open. You have to know I'm grinning from ear to ear to hear that Mr. PeRFect has claimed yet another victory. Poor Andy Murray. It seems like he'll never win a major open title, but at least he doesn't have the temper of Roddick or the bad luck of Nadal. I really am sorry he had to withdraw. That happened last year to Novak D., who was the defending champion. Maybe that's what happens to every defending champion. But hopefully not next year. As for the other adventure, I'm trying to think of my favorite part of "Yours, Mine, and Ours" or "Cheaper by the Dozen," but the only thing that's coming to mind is Ashton Kutcher's facial expression when he says, "This is the moneymaker. I'm not that good of an actor." Hopefully that makes your day.
100 million congratulations to Tommy Hatcher for his mission call to Arizona Phoenix. At the risk of repeating the error we made when I got my mission call, I'm going to ask, didn't Russell Cheney serve in that mission? I know he lives in Dallas, not Houston, but I think he served in Phoenix, not Mesa. Speaking of cousins, Sister Hoskins and I are going out to dinner with Nichole and family on Wednesday night, as long as I can find the restaurant. Don't worry: I'm a very good navigator.
Now for funny story of the week number two. Sister Hoskins and I were at lunch with our ward mission leader and his wife on Saturday afternoon. As we were leaving the restaurant, we needed to get through this narrow little aisle by these people, so Sister Hoskins went first, and I followed her. I think my foot caught on the edge of the tile or something, but all of a sudden I'm on the floor. On my knees, actually. Sister Hoskins turns around and, fairly loudly, asks, "Did you just fall, Sister Sorensen?" I stand up as quickly as humanly possible and--lying through my teeth--say, "No, I'm fine." Outside of the restaurant we rush in gales of laughter that refuse to die until we get about two miles down the road. Later, I realize what I should have said was, "No, I just thought I should say a quick prayer." But missed opportunities come again. Later that night, we are at a member's home for dinner. Sister Hoskins and I are both sitting up to the bar while dinner is being prepared. She is petting the family's cat. She puts it down and gets up. About a minute later, I decide to stand up, too. The first step I take I hear a cat hissing sound. As I'm taking the next step, hopefully out of the cat's way, I look down to discover it going more and more underneath me. Step two produces a larger hissing sound, and finally I just decide to fall instead of risking taking another step. The cat scatters off into the closet, and I am left on the floor for the second time in one day. But don't worry. I didn't fall at all yesterday.
The missionary work has been picking up rapidly in the last week. We taught two great lessons from tracting. One was on the doorstep with a girl who nannies for an LDS family. She had a lot of questions about the Church, and we were able to teach and testify to her about a few things. The next day, a very similar thing happened. No joke, the third door we knock on, and the first where anyone was even home, a young married woman lets us in to answer her questions about the church. Neither of these people were interested in becoming investigators, but it was a sign that the Lord was guiding us to people who are prepared. And we were able to contact and teach three referrals from various sources this week, resulting in two new investigators, one of whom was planning to come to church (but did not). Nevertheless, attempting to pick her up resulted in my favorite story of the week.
So here it is: Ever since I arrived in Tomball, the Spanish elders have been teaching a family, and most of the family members were baptized at the end of November. The others either have been since or will be soon. Up until a week ago, I had never met a single member of this family, but by virtue of serving around the elders who were teaching them, I felt somewhat of a great desire for their spiritual growth. I've even had dreams about meeting and teaching this family. Anyway, one of our investigators, the one we were trying to pick up for church yesterday with a member, lives on the same street as this family. And we'd met one of the little girls in the family who just got baptized a while ago while trying to contact this investigator. Let's just say two girls in skirts or two men in ties would stand out in this neighborhood. Anyway, I keep digressing. I'll edit it later when it becomes the basis for a short story. Our member had brought the investigator a few cinnamon rolls, but when the investigator didn't answer, we saw the little girl and her friends and gave the cinnamon rolls to them. The little girl, the one who just got baptized, was so gracious and giving. I don't remember a word she said; I just remember feeling and knowing intuitively as she spoke that she was clean and pure and speaking by the power of the Holy Ghost. I could just feel it. I don't know how to explain it except to say I could feel it and know it was the Holy Ghost testifying to me that she was not only blessed to be baptized, but was living in compliance with her baptismal commitments and knew well how to live righteously.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Love y'all the moster more,
Sister Whitney Mikell Sorensen
Monday, February 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment