Speaking of useless but awesome things, yesterday we were eating lunch with a member and we met some creatures called "nutrias." They're in the dictionary and everything. As we drove up to her house, she has a pond, and Sister Hoskins looked out the window and yelled, "Beavers! Beavers! Beavers!" Sister Vidrine was saying, "They're not beavers; they're nutrias." But since we'd never heard of nut
rias, we thought she was kidding. No. She wasn't. Nutrias are medium-sized water rats with webbed feet, red pointed front teeth, and long rat-like tails. At first I thought they are going to be gross, but they weren't that bad, and totally Southern. Sister Vidrine keeps them as pets, and she was so sweet with them. Sister Hoskins held one in her lap for half an hour while it ate a bagel. Also, they don't smell at all. Surprisingly sweet. Nutrias: basically useless, but totally awesome. Look up their picture on Google TODAY! (Are you sold yet?)Housekeeping: Congratulations to the soon-to-be Mrs. Ronnie Stringfellow. I'm sure he's great. Watson is a nice name for Roger and Jen's baby boy, although I'm fairly certain if this kid ever has a sidekick it'll be Lewis. "Watson and Lewis." Nice ring to it, don't you think? As for where the yearbooks are, you've kind of stumped me. I thought they were still on my bookshelves somewhere, probably on the far left in the closet, although I might actually have put them behind the books on that side of the shelf. Or they might be behind the books or binders in the middle shelves. Or in my desk drawer, bottom right (the one with a couple of built-in dividers). Maybe they're even on that little thing with wheels right next to my bed somewhere. But if they're not in one of those places, your guess is as good as mine. Hope that helps. I'm really curious about who this Jordan is. The only name I can remember is Jordan Johnson, but Jordan is such a common name that it could be quite a few more people than that. Whoever this person is, I hope you discover somehow. And if you see him again, give him my congratulations on being called to the Houston area. He's going to love it.
This week we finally got in with a media referral named Eddie. Great name, eh? He is very open about the gospel, and doesn't feel like he's attached to any church necessarily, although he has a strong Christian faith, and does NOT believe in the Trinity. I love it when that happens. One of the most prevalent false doctrines out there, and they just outright don't believe it. It's happened to me a few times on my mission, and such people are always special. We invited him to church yesterday, but he didn't make it. In addition to trying to find new people to teach, one of our biggest struggles right now is keeping in contact with the investigators we do have. They either live far away, or hardly ever answer the phone, or are hard to get a hold of. Nevertheless, persistence is key and our efforts will be rewarded.
We are also helping the Spanish elders right now with one of their investigators. She is a young teenage girl, whose family speaks Spanish, although she knows English very well. She's had quite a few struggles in her life, but we're trying to help her discover her worth as a daughter of God and find the joy of the restored gospel. Sister Hoskins has a special connection with her, but I feel blessed to be able to go in a meet with her. Her family lives in such humble circumstances, but they are so generous and giving. Last time we were there, they gave each of us two oranges. If I were Grace Kelly herself, I could not have felt more like a princess, although to the naked eye we were not in a palace. Discerning the true charity in this family's heart, I knew I was in the presence of spiritual royalty, a family whose value comes not from the amount of their worldly goods but the love in their heart. Being around them expands my spirit inside of me, almost to the point where I feel the my body can hardly contain it and my ribcage is literally expanding to hold it. I hope that makes sense to you, because to me it is one of the deepest truths I know. I just have a hard time fitting it into words.
Eli, we had some tostadas this week. They were delicious. You should try them when you get the chance. Your cake looks great, however. Was it a "joint" effort to make it? Cassidy: you look so elegant with your longer hair. You just shine.
Thanks for the medical advice. I'll take it to heart. I know that everything will work out just fine. Don't worry. And I know you're not.
Must run, but I love you all and send a million hugs your way! Stay warm!
Sister Whitney Mikell Sorensen
P.S. I almost forgot to write about the Olympics. We heard about Evan Lysacek. I knew Cassidy would be on cloud nine. We heard there was a bit of a controversy surrounding it, but I usually just want to tell the Russians to "take that." I hope there is a MIRACLE repeat, although it could never be the same as the first time. Congratulations to Apollo: he deserves it. I guess congrats to Bode, too, although he probably doesn't deserve it as much. But what about Eric Heiden? I thought he had the most gold medals from a single winter olympics? How do Apollo's records compare to his? Finally, way to be, Mitt! You amaze me. If missionaries were allowed to comment on politics, I'd say I wish he were our president instead of our current one, but since we're not, I won't.
P.P.S. I have a joke for you. Mostly for Dad, but you'll probably all laugh at it. Moses was landing at Houston International Airport on the same day as George W. Bush. George Bush sent his secret service agents over to have Moses come and talk to him. Three times he refused. Finally, President Bush asked them to ask why he wouldn't come. Moses responded, "Last time I talked to a bush, I spent forty years in the desert and I got the only land in the Middle East without any oil on it." Hope you like it. I shortened it because time is majorly up. BYE
No comments:
Post a Comment