Monday, February 8, 2010

2-8-10 "Three's Company"

I actually hate the show Three's Company, but the title does seem appropriate in light of the news we have about transfers. I have to tell you the whole story in context however, so don't get ahead.

On Saturday morning, the Spanish elders had a member who invited our whole district to breakfast. The Waller elders were unable to come because of miles and busy-ness, but we were privileged to go. This lady has a darling little yellow house, and she speaks very little English. Like practically none. Sister Hoskins was pretty good at communicating with her, but I was terrible. I would start thinking of things to say in my head, and they would be in German, not Spanish. I wish I had been able to say more, but the morning was great nonetheless. She made a TON of food, and the elders (who were interpreting for us half the time) said that if you don't want more, you shouldn't clear your plate. Leave just a little bit left, or she will make you eat a whole other plate. I was served first, but I was the last to finish. And after everyone had been served she puts another full plate in the center and directs us, in Spanish, to be sure all of it's gone. She made these round, flat, little tortilla-like things with a red sauce, chopped potatoes, and cheese on top. They were good, but very filling. I couldn't even finish all my five, when really, if I were doing my part, I would have eaten those plus one more from the table in the center. One of the elders had to eat like 8! In the middle of breakfast, we hear our phone beep, but we don't get to find out who called us until after we leave. Back to breakfast. So as we're reaching the end of our plates, she starts asking us if we want milk, because there's actually a dessert course with breakfast. Sweet breads and muffins and such. Saturday also happened to be Sister Hoskins's 23rd birthday and Elder Bell's two-years-on-a-mission birthday. So Elder Parker had brought candles to put in their breakfast dessert. The candles were lit, we sang a little ditty, and they made birthday wishes. Now that we are FULL, we go to the couch to share a little message. And by "we," I mean the Spanish elders, since my scriptures are in English. Even though I couldn't produce any Spanish, I was able to understand most of what Elder Parker was saying. It was a great message, and I certainly felt the Spirit even if I couldn't understand all his words precisely. When it came time for the closing prayer, the member decided to offer it. I was catching fewer of her words than Elder Parker's, but about halfway through the prayer I get the distinct understanding, even though I can't understand completely, that she's praying for Elder Bell to find a wife and have many beautiful children. I'm not describing it very well, but imagine hearing something in another language, and knowing it's in another language, but still being able to comprehend what is being said. I'm not saying I have the gift of interpretation of tongues or anything, but, sure enough, after we're outside the house, Elder Parker looks at us and says, "Do you know what she just prayed for?" I respond, "It sounded like a wife and children for Elder Bell." He just smiles and nods. We all had a good laugh about it. And now the phone calls. It was from the assistants to President Hansen. "Call us back. We have some news about transfers." We did. One of the assistants right now is my first ever mission field district leader, Elder Hiatt. He answers the phone and says, "Can you both hear?" "Yes. Sister Hoskins is driving. Should she stop?" He laughs. "No." The gist of it: we are going to both be staying in Tomball, but we will be training a brand-new missionary from the MTC. All we know about her is her name. Sister Smith. We will meet her on Thursday morning, and we get to go to a special temple session and training meeting that day. I'm excited, even though having three in a companionship will be something of a challenge. Wish us much luck. We'll need it, but I know it's going to be great.

That story was much longer than I intended it to be. I just wanted to give you all those details about the breakfast. It's one of my favorite mission memories so far, getting to glimpse into the Spanish-speaking work. It reminded me of over a year ago when our whole apartment arranged to go on a date, but then one of Marcie and Ana's friends was getting baptized that night, so we went to the baptism as part of the date. Fun and nice, and a bit similar of an "interpretation of tongues" experience, since the whole service was in Spanish then, too. I'm not saying I'm sad not to be a Spanish-speaking missionary, because I have always thought my work was meant to be in the English language, but I just have such a powerful testimony that the work going on in other languages changes lives, too, and brings people closer to the Savior. I'm really having a hard time finding my words today. What I just wrote doesn't even come close to truly expressing my emotions, but it'll have to do, because I have more to say.

Also this week we did a little tracting in a fairly affluent neighborhood. We were trying to make contact with a less-active man, but we decided just to tract around because we weren't sure when we'd be out there again. Towards the end of our tracting, we come to this house with a truck and a sports car in the driveway. On the back of the truck, there is a hitch with the bat signal on it. Interesting. I look at Sister Hoskins and say, "I wonder if Batman lives here. Are you prepared to teach the first lesson to Christian Bale?" She just laughs, like I'm crazy. Which I kind of am. But then, as we're knocking on the front door, I look at the doormat beneath our feet and it has a big, emblematic "W" on it. W. As in Wayne. BRUCE WAYNE. Not a coincidence, I'm thinking. Again, I turn to Sister Hoskins: "I think we're going to get to see the batcave today..." But alas, Bruce must have heard us talking, and didn't want to give away his secret identity. We told the elders about it that night, and Elder Parker had actually taken a picture of the batmobile that day. In any case, I'm pretty sure Mr. Wayne has a winter home in Houston.

So much more happens, but I only can tell you the best of the best. Congratulations to Eli for winning his chess match. Genius, genius, genius. I don't think I've ever even won a chess match, but I never really could get into it. He's following in the footsteps of my favorite Harry Potter character, however. Ron loves to play wizard's chess. Cassidy: CREEPY!!! about the Johnny Cash testimony. I've had weird dreams before, but I've never really called them visions. I'm not even sure how "Walk the Line" was an answer to his question. Is he supposed to go sing at Folsom Prison? Is he supposed to become a drug seller? Is he supposed to grow a long, ugly beard like Joaquin Phoenix and act crazy on David Letterman? And what exactly does a John Wayne tie look like? My advice: I'd "keep my eyes wide open all the time" for this guy, especially if he's all in black, because he may have "shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die." Not cool. Mom, yuck about getting sick on Tuesday, but kind of funny that you worried that you would die one a bad hair day. That's kind of like saying, "Don't let me die with my boots on." (Is it on or off? I can never remember.)

Happy Olympics on Friday. I'll be rooting in my heart, but focusing on missionary work. All three of us will be having dinner with one of our favorite families in the ward, Brother and Sister Brewer. Sister Brewer is almost my adopted mother. Love her. Thanks also for the music. We've been enjoying the tracks we can listen too, although I'm not sure what some of the last ones are. Any more hints on 12-14?

Last thing: People have been sending me mail without an apartment number on it. It gets to me, but you might want to be sure to include that from now on. Here's the full address: 29807 State Highway 249 #376 Tomball, TX 77375.

Much love and shining,
Sister Whitney Mikell Sorensen

No comments:

Post a Comment