Wednesday, July 22, 2009

7-1-09 "Celebrity Sightings from the MTC"

Howdy from Provo! It's great to finally be having our first preparation day. We have already been through our first week of missionary training, my district of 6 elders and 3 other sisters and I. Forgive me if this is not the most eloquent e-mail you receive from me--I've sort of forgotten how to start over the past few days. Our first story of the day is significant people on the MTC campus: I have seen Elder Braden Sorensen twice, Elder Brett Jenkins three or four times, and, just for Cassidy, an Elder McClanahan (although I don't know if he's a hockey player from Minnesota. He did, however bear his testimony for me in Spanish.) One of my teachers is Sister Folkman, who served in the Omaha, Nebraska Mormon Trail Center Mission. Yes, she knows Katie Later-Roberts--she said Sister Later was her trainer. For Cody, one of the sisters in my district is Sister Jardine, from Provo, but she pronounces it like "garden." But here's the best part: all last week was a seminar for new mission presidents, so there were plenty of general authorities on campus. They had a special devotional from Elder Holland on Friday night. He spoke about having the Holy Ghost as the third companion in every companionship. On Sunday, we heard from Wendy L. (Watson) Nelson in Relief Society. On of her tips was, I kid you not, "there are some things you should commit never to do. NOT EVEN ONCE." And then, if that wasn't enough, as we were leaving sacrament meeting, we saw a sizeable crowd of missionaries gathered around. Who were they seeing? President Monson and President Eyring, on their way out. Although this last one is a little anti-climatic, last night our devotional speaker was Gerald N. Lund. He gave some great principles for learning how to find people. I'm not sure how much time I have left (we only get thirty minutes of e-mail per week), so this week's e-mail might be shorter than those in coming weeks, but I also have plenty of time to write you letters today, so expect them in the mail. I got all your letters on Monday--two through DearElder.com, and the one from Eli and Grandmother. I also got a package from Aunt Barbra and family on Friday or Saturday. Forward this on to Grandpa and Grandmother please; I can't remember their e-mail. Other small things of note: I saw the Joseph Smith movie (finally!) on Sunday night, out best gym period so far was playing four square as a district, we had both rain and zucchini on Friday, and I saw someone with pajama bottoms that match mine (blue with yellow polka dots). Lastly, sorry about Michael Jackson, and Farrah Fawcett, and Billy Mays, but I'm glad you let me know, even if the information reached me just after someone in my district spilled the beans about the first two. They must have heard it in an earlier letter. Expect the spiritual stuff, and the in-depth details about the people in my district in a later letter. You're welcome to write me back at this e-mail, but try to keep it brief, since I can only check it once and week, and I want to spend most of that time writing to you. Love, The Always Shining, Sister Whitney Sorensen

No comments:

Post a Comment