Friday, July 24, 2009

7-15-09 "She's Leavin' On a Jet Plane"

Today was the day we knew Whitney would be flying out to Houston so we didn't expect any e-mail or letters this week. I can't say I was excited abouto the prospect, but on the flipside, I knew she would be calling, so I was a little bit excited for the day. Just a little. Cassidy and Phillip went to do baptisms for the dead at 6:00 in the morning. I was at the church cooking breakfast for them at 8:00. Eli was home in bed. At 8:05 my cell phone rang. When I heard that familiar voice saying, "Hi, Mom, it's Whitney!" My heart skipped a beat and I was so choked up I almost couldn't speak. But I pulled it together REAL FAST. She sounds SO GOOD! Happy, cheerful, ready to do the work. I felt a little selfish since no one else from the family was around, but the Lord does move in mysterious ways. We talked for maybe 20 minutes. The youth from the ward started arriving back at the church so I had my bishop call to see when Cassidy and Phillip would arrive. Just then, they pulled into the parking lot. While they each had a turn on the phone, I ran home, dragged Eli out of bed and brought him back to the church in his pajamas so he could talk to Whitney as well. I also reminded him to keep his chin up and not start crying while he talked to her. He and Cassidy both did great in this area. All too soon it was time to say, 'so long, farewell' and she was off to fly the friendly skies on her way to Houston. Sister Hansen promised me they would be there to greet them with happy smiles and big hugs! The next time we hear from Whitney it will be from the great state of Texas. I hope they love her as much as we do. I'm sure they will!

No comments:

Post a Comment