Tuesday, December 1, 2009

11-30-09 "Better than toast and popcorn"

Happy Thanksgiving! We had a fantabulous one! First we went to lunch at Brother and Sister Brewer's. Every year they have a huge feast for their friends from the community and the church. We sat across from this couple that lives on a big acreage. They own goats. Apparently, Brother Brewer also used to own goat. What is it with me and goats? Mostly traditional fare, but all fabulous. The only thing really different was green bean casserole, but I at least think that's a Southern Thanksgiving tradition. Not too shabby, but not something we need to consider adding to the full meal. Plus, she sent us home with most of the leftovers, which we are still enjoying. Mmm. Mashed potatoes. Stuffing. Turkey. Mmm.
From there, we stopped by the church potluck. Not to eat, naturally, since we were full to bursting, but just to socialize. They did end up having it inside the church, although Sister Kemp and I both questioned the actual occurence of Thanksgiving since there was no snow to be seen anywhere and the temperatures were around 60 or 70. Eventually, that turned into a two-hour game of volleyball, which is a good way to work off the excessive Thanksgiving calories, and just plain fun.
The next day we also had quite the adventure. Every Friday we drive about 20 miles to a little town for our district meeting. It's on this one lane highway both ways, sort of like the old highway between Idaho Falls and Blackfoot. We got there just fine, but on the way back into town, we got stopped in traffic for AN HOUR because of an accident between a red sedan and an RV pulling another vehicle. It was kind of an adventure, but kind of boring, too. Luckily we had the company of each other and the Spanish elders, plus the small herd of cows out my window. Which reminds me. Have I told you about the game, "Hey, cow!" yet? Well, here it goes. This game was taught to us by Elder Bell. While driving down a one-lane, pasture-lined highway, you roll down your window whenever you approach a group of cows, yell "Hey, cow!" at the top of your lungs very quickly, and count the number of cows that look in your direction. I am NOT GOOD at this game, but Elder Bell always gets at least one cow to look. We're pretty sure Sister Kemp got one the other day. I'm determined. After all, I'm used to playing "Beaver," where you don't actually have to get a reaction from the tractor. Much simpler.
On Saturday we had a zone meeting. We played a difficult Book of Mormon trivia game as the activity. You'll be glad to know I held my own, but could not name the eldest son of the brother of Jared. Can you? Other than that our week has been somewhat slow. All of our investigators live in the old area that is no longer ours, so we're having trouble keeping ourselves busy, since this area has already been tracted to death. We'll find something to do, but what it is, I'm not sure at this very moment. We do have plenty of service opportunites (although none as great as the Idaho Falls soup kitchen), and zone conference is this week which takes care of some of the time. It's not about just spending time either, but keeping yourself busy doing what the Lord wants you to do, and that's the hard thing to determine.
Ditto on the mail. I've been writing letters, but somehow they haven't been sent in two weeks. I just bought a cheap mailer to send you a lot of pictures, so keep your eyes on the mailbox. I'd say send the Christmas package to the mission office, just to be safe. And sadly, I never received the orange shirt in the mail. I don't know why...
Glad to hear y'all had a great Thanksgiving, including clam dip, which I am jealous of, but I can wait for, "The Blind Side," which I am more jealous of, but can also wait for, and Sir Paul, which I am not as jealous of but still kind of jealous of. Also, no fear about me missing the sappy Christmas songs. While we were visiting some members at their quilt shop on Saturday, I overheard "The Christmas Shoes," to my great dismay. And to think I had the perfect excuse to escape without it this year. But to be honest, I am MOST JEALOUS of the Thornberrys seeing WEST SIDE STORY. On. Broadway. To. DIE. For. Ooh! Amazing. Amazing. Amazing.
Not so amazing: Max Hall making unsportmanlike comments about the win that saved his tail. I could hardly believe it yesterday when I overheard the bishop say the Y won their game. I knew it would have been the rival game. And now I'm happy for the team, but ashamed of the QB. Congrats to Erin Knutson! And that's all!

Turning the Christmas lights on with her smile,

Whitney, AKA Sister Sorensen

p.s. Just so you know, as I'm sitting here writing my e-mails at Tomball Community college, this guy next to me keeps asking me for advice on his paper. Something about me must say, "writing tutor." Or "cute, college-age girl." Or both. I'm thinking it's both. Plus, every week when I sit here, this British lady is working as a writing tutor. Talk about making a girl homesick for school. And Mother England. Just thought you ought to know.

p.p.s. Also, Mom, Grandmother sent me this really nice nativity scene, but I'm really hoping she's willing to donate it to the mission. I have absolutely no way of transporting it around with me. I only have two suitcases and a backpack, and they're already full. I'm right on this, correct?

No comments:

Post a Comment