Every time I start an e-mail home, I remember Meg Ryan sitting at her computer in "You've Got Mail," typing to Tom Hanks that, "I like to begin my letters to you as if we're already in the middle of a great conversation." That's what it feels like every time I write home. As to mail, I did get a small package from Sister Johnson, but not yet from Sister Griffiths. I'll do some checking. Please do not panic and call the mission office. On Monday night, one of the senior elders (who was manning the mission office while all the sisters were playing at sisters' preparation day) came up to me and said, "I've spoken with your mother TWICE today about packages." Isn't that just the way things always happen? Because if the regular office ladies had been there, they would have known that my packages had already come through and were on there way to me? Because it was waiting for me at home that night? Oh, well. Also good to know that the shirt was never, in fact, delivered. Now that all the mission leaders have been accused of confiscating an orange women's shirt. Yeah. Might have to do a little apologizing on that one. Just kidding, about the need to apologize, anyway.
I also find it ironic that you tell me this week is so totally uneventful, and then proceed to tell me about like 12 mission calls and 3 marriages (and even some sad news). Rachel's in the MTC. Sister Young! And Amanda's going to Prague! A sister in our ward right now served there, as did Sister Davis's brother, and another elder in the mission's sister. I will need her address if you can find it, (ditto with Rachel's) so I can send my congratulations! Karly Walker is going to San Jose. California, right? Embarrassingly enough, I just had to ask the missionaries around me if San Jose was a country. Yeah. Not really sure where my mind has gone. The encyclopedia brain has been shelved for a time, I'm discovering. You have to concentrate on other things as a missionary.
And MAEGAN'S HAVING A BABY!!! Yes, I'm aware that I just used the pornography of punctuation, and yes, I'm aware that using all caps is screaming in e-lingo, but: MAEGAN'S HAVING A BABY!!! Too exciting. Luckily, I already have her address, so I can send those congratulations myself without delay.
And just in case you were wondering, no, I've never tried hummus, nor have I ever wanted to. Actually, that's not true. I tried it last year at the Writing Center clip and dip. Don't recall having good feelings about it either. So I hope you're not really getting hummus for Christmas. But if you do, I recommend reacting this way: "a jar of hummus?!?", as if you were saying, "a lump of coal?!?" Priceless.
Not sure exactly how the whole calling home on Christmas things works, but I know we get about an hour. I will be sure that it doesn't occur during your soup kitchen service time. I can think of nothing better to be doing on Christmas than serving at the soup kitchen. You'll love it, and you'll be blessed. Our Christmas schedule is probably fairly open, so I think we can call whenever we can find time, and I'm pretty certain we use our mission cell phones, so no phone card required.
I loved all the pictures, and the evidence of Eli's burgeoning (sp?) vocabulary. "Embroidery" AND "we couldn't afford it." Double priceless. I was about to send my worries that maybe you couldn't afford it because my x-rays cost so much, which apparently they did, but through a Christmas/mission miracle akin to the USA Hockey team defeating the Soviet Union in the Olympics with Kurt Russell as head coach, Blue Cross actually paid some of our bills before we met our deductible. It's one of those laws of nature that I don't need to understand. I'll just accept that it works, like the Theory of Relativity.
Many thanks for the Christmas cds. The one from David Glen Hatch is okay, the one from Marshall Macdonald is quite good (he used to be a hand double on "Everwood"), and Sister Kemp has now fallen for the beautiful sounds of that dancing champion, Donny Osmond. She promises that she's never heard his voice before, but now she LOVES it. Holiday joy and cheer continues to be spread by everyone's favorite Osmond.
The other pictures from the package were nice. ANNIE looks amazing, and I wish I could have seen it, but, as Lenny says in "You've Got Mail": "I was unavoidably detained." Or, as Marcia, Marcia, Marcia would say: "Something suddenly (six months ago!) came up!" Your hair looks good dark, Mom. And while we're on the subject of hair color, you'll be surprised to know that mine is actually being lightened by the Texas sunshine. I have quite a few natural blonde streaks. Not really my favorite, but it doesn't look bad. Just kind of random. I can't wait, however, to go back to being full brunette with dark lowlights. Love them.
Cassidy, are you in the midst of finals? Are you surviving? I'm sure you're doing amazing, even in your hard math class. Just keep swimming, and who knows? Maybe you'll end up with eight gold medals. I've never been through finals as BYU-Idaho, but Sister Kemp says they're fine, and I have no worries that your great mind and your Grace Kelly charm and wit will carry you through the days. Also, good luck to Brother Cody.
The elders loved the Christmas funfetti brownies. We made them for district meeting on Saturday. A-maze-ing! They send their thanks. Sisters' preparation day was great. We tied quilts, made gingerbread houses, and wrapped the Christmas presents for all the missionaries from President and Sister Hansen. After that, we had a special sisters' conference, where the wives of all the mission presidency spoke on the subject of a virtuous woman, as described in Proverbs 31. So enlightening and uplifting. One of the speakers was even quoting President Kimball and said something about, "Keep shining." I instantly thought of "Please shine." I am. I assure you. :)
Navidad en el Barrio was great. We left bright and early, and by virtue of accidentally taking one exit too soon, we got to drive through other parts of downtown we wouldn't have seen. Some nice. Some not so nice. There were two elders with us. No worries. We saw the baseball stadium!!! And the service project was great. At one point, this semi truck filled with playground and soccer balls drove up, and all the missionaries had to corral them into a little barricade. Chaos, but quite fun chaos. We spent most of our time wrapping the literally thousands of gifts. I loved every minute of it. I hope I get to experience downtown Houston later in life, too.
We also had the ward Christmas party this week: a luau. Very well done. All the groups did different Polynesian dances, including the men and young men doing the Haka. Yikes! And one sister had amazing poi ball skills. You should have seen it, Cassidy and Grandmother. Just like the PCC.
Last but not least, yesterday I thought I'd lost my wallet, but then it turned out to be in the elders car from the day before. Phew!
I think that's all. Love, love, love!!! In fact, "love, love me do. You KNOW, I love you."
And you're sensational, Frank Sinatra in "High Society." You're sensational. That's all!
Sister Whitney Sorensen
P.S. Still trying to find investigators. They might have to combine our area with another after this transfer. Transfers aren't until after Christmas.
P.P.S. And we went to the temple this week. Always good. Love it, like always. Love you, like always, too.
Monday, December 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment