Tuesday, December 22, 2009

12-21-09 "Captain Barbossa, Louisianna Gumbo, and "Trouble" With a Capital "T" (and that rhymes with "P")

Sister Kemp nearly scared the wits out of me this week when she started rolling down the car window on Saturday. A spider was crawling on it. I thought the spider was going to get inside, and the moving window surprised me so much, that I moved about a foot down into my seat trying to protect myself. False alarm. The spider did not get into the car. Phew!
It's funny that you bring up "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day" this week, because I was actually thinking about that this week, too. Let's just say I was getting a little, well, a lot, overwhelmed about the fact that we have no investigators right now. And last Sunday, (over a week ago), the zone leaders were asking us about it, and we had to look them in the face and say, "Yeah, we have none right now." It hurt so badly. I felt like a failure. So I went through all the stages of grief very quickly, and then again, and slowly got over it throughout the week. What really snapped me out of it was Elder Holland's talk, "Remember Lot's Wife," which I read on Saturday, and another one by President Eyring from the May Ensign, which we read yesterday. But on Sunday night I was thinking of the title song from that children's animated classic: "I've had a terrible, I've had a horrible, I've had a terrible, I've had a horrible, I've had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." All better. No worries.
The food at the work party sounds delicious. Did you like the green bean casserole? If anyone can make, I'm sure it's Miss Deen. You, soon, will be taking a leaf out of her entrepenuerial (sp?) handbook when you become the founder and proprieter of "Ready-made Conversations for the Reticent." Okay, so the title's not perfect yet, but I just had to use the word reticent. I was thinking, "Mozart for Misbehavior" and "Wagner for the Vicious" and "Jazz for Cats." ("Now, it's not just for humans!" Bingley, you make me laugh.) You can go into that business about the same time Cassidy and I get famous for making our own DVD commentaries you can purchase separately to ensure good conversation while watching great, and not-so-great, films. And please do save the great Southern story for me. Although I'm not so sure about the names.
THE PHONE CALL: We are allowed to call either before 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m. (Texas time) because that's when they have free minutes on the cell phones. So, since Sister Kemp and I have no desire to call in the wee, small hours of the morning, expect a call from me about 7 p.m. Texas time, which is 6 p.m. Idaho time. We can talk for an hour. I am looking forward to it, too, but for the record, I did remember our phone number. I will be using it in less than one week. Until then, I'll do my best to practice my "Mark Wahlberg talks to Christmas animals" voices. That was hilarious.
Which reminds me. We saw some goats this week. We got a referral from church headquarters for a Cesar Barboza, so Sister Kemp was calling him Captain Barbossa. Not actually a pirate. And he was a little evasive when we tried to drop off the DVD: I'm sick, I'm busy for the holidays, now's not a good time. But hey, I got to see some goats by his house. It was a very hispanic neighborhood, so we sent the Spanish elders there to see if it has any other potential investigators. We'll try Cesar again at the first of the year, just to be sure. I find it's better to assume they want to learn, pretending you're naive to the fact that not everyone wants to meet with missionaries. It keeps you cheerful, and gives them an opportunity to be more straightforward about making a choice.
Also, we had gumbo this week. I know what you're thinking, Mom. Yuck! Okra! But this gumbo was completely okra-free and totally delicious. The Chalk family invited us over to their house because their neighbors, Orpha and Allen, wanted us to be there! Orpha and Allen had dinner at the Chalks with sister missionaries before and wanted to do it again. So Orpha and Allen, both Louisiana natives, make gumbo: just a tomato roux broth with shredded chicken, hearty sausage, and a little shrimp. Serve over rice and top with--get this--creamy mashed potato salad. Sounds weird, but the creamy, cool potato salad makes the dish. Delicious. When we gave the lesson, we read the Christmas story from Luke and then the Christmas story from 3 Nephi and gave Orpha and Allen a copy of the Book of Mormon. She was excited to found out what was really in it. She had been to Temple Square years ago and loved it. Her husband thought she was going to convert on the spot!
And just to round on the references in my subject line while I'm at it, last night we had dinner at our ward mission leader's house, and played a little pool. I held my own on the first game, but by the second game Sister Kemp was the one making all the trick shots. I was tempted to rebuckly my knickerbockers below the knee, but I realized I was wearing a skirt.
Packages have arrived from both parents and grandparents. Love the talk from President Eyring. It nearly tore my heart out when he was talking about the humble soldier who stood up and said he treasured that letter his mother had written him, even calling it scripture. It sounds like tugs on the heart strings are going around the Sorensen ladies lately, what with violins in the Christmas program, and putting the "mas" back in Christmas, and reactivating recent converts. Speaking of which, Sister Kemp and I watched "Mr. Krueger's Christmas" with a family we are reactivating this week. I forgot how much I like it, except for maybe the cheesy tagline at the end. What the announcer says is true; it's just said in such a sentimental way...
"Santa just YAMMIED in your handbag." Who said this? "I don't remember reading about the angel Dudley in the Bible." Who said this? "I'm eating junk and watching rubbish. Better come out and pound me." Who said this? "More breakfast joints should serve their meals right in the skillet, like Denny's." Who said this? "A waitress gave you pajamas?" Who said this? "God bless us, everyone." You KNOW who said that, I hope. Fun game. Thanks for playing with me.
Our agenda is quite full for this week. The entire mission is getting together tomorrow for mission p-day. Wednesday we get an extra trip to the temple this transfer. Thursday we're having dinner with a great family. Friday we're probably watching "A Christmas Carol" with our district before going to another member's house for dinner and festivities. I'll be sure to play cards if the option is open. And then we get to call home, in case you weren't aware.
And Saturday we find out if we're being transferred or not. Busy, busy, busy. Okay, I'm really all out of things to say, except, I forgot the hookarm story, and I was trying to tell it to Sister Kemp last night. Please tell! I remember the names are Peggy Dawn and Billy Jean (not to be confused with the late king of pop or the version by the new king of pop rock, not to be confused with pop rocks, which are gross). And I love the Snoopy gingerbread doghouse. Fab. U. Lous. All you need is the Christmas Queen and Linus with a blanket on his head.

Say hi to your mother for me,Shining like the Christmas star,

Sister Whitney Sorensen

P.S. I just realized I didn't respond to Cody. Sorry. Eddie Cahill took up a lot of time. When you write me a real letter, I'll respond.

P.P.S. I didn't write a card to Merrill yet. Should I address is just to him, or to him and Julie? I'll ask you when we talk by phone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment