We had zone conference this week, and it was the best one I have been to yet. It was all about how we need to use the Book of Mormon more in our mission because it is the most powerful tool of conversion we have. I already know and love the Book of Mormon, thanks to the great example of my parents, but it's always good to have a reminder, and, in this case, to receive a charge to use it as a missionary tool. The Spirit is always present at zone conference, but it's presence was especially strong and steady at this one. I know that's just what happens when you talk about the Book of Mormon.
And while I'm telling y'all about my life, this week is busy, busy, busy. Today we are having a special sisters only preparation day and zone conference. For the first half of the day, we are going to the mission home (President and Sister Hansen's house) to spend time with Sister Hansen--quilting, wrapping presents, girl talk, etc. Then in the afternoon we're having a special zone conference for the sisters only, with lunch and dinner provided. So no letters will be mailed off this week, but I'm sure I'll take plenty of pictures. Wednesday is our transfer temple trip, which I always look forward to with great anticipation. And, on Friday, we are driving to Houston--downtown Houston, the real Houston, outside of the Texas Houston mission and into the Texas Houston South mission--that Houston, for a special service project. "Navidad en el Barrio" is a yearly event where the city of Houston buys thousands of toys for children who otherwise would not have a Christmas, and apparently missionaries go every year to help them wrap them. This will be an all day event. We'll be commuting with the commuters both to and from, and spend all day giving service. I can't wait! Pictures of downtown to come, including perhaps the baseball stadium, aka Minute Maid Park, home of the Houston Astros (although from the sounds of it, I should be getting more excited about the Rockets, since my brother will one day be playing for them! Way to go, Eli. 6 points! And learning to pivot. A very important skill, I'm sure. Did the coach play for the Tarheels? If so, WOW! We're talking basketball legends of a school. I'm pretty sure their men's team took it all this year. And Michael Jordan played there. If not, the Tarheels, then certainly still a tough conference, and a great school nonetheless.)
Let's take a moment to remember Pearl Harbor, for today is Pearl Harbor day. "December 7, 1941: a day which will live in infamy." Cassidy and Grandmother, we can remember it especially vividly, with the sun shining over the blue-green water and the flags waving proudly.
I did get to watch the First Presidency Christmas devotional. It WAS amazing. I told Sister Kemp that the song I wanted to hear most was "For Unto Us a Child is Born," and there it was, the second song they sang! I just love that one, and maybe it's me, but the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sounds even more amazing than usual recently. I love that song in particular whenever they sing it, because it sounds like Christmas fireworks whenever they get to the names part: "WONDERFUL! COUNCILLOR!" etc. "O Holy Night" was also lovely, and I just couldn't stop looking at President Monson when he was using his spiritual gift for storytelling. That was a very touching story about the soldier in the airport, and told in such a typical, perfect, poetic-prose President Monson way. Loved it all.
Now to comment on recent events in Idaho, where I'm sure the snow sticks. First things first:
DAVID ARCHULETA! That boy keeps getting closer and closer to our family. Next time it'll be he and Cassidy crossing paths, no doubt. Maybe she can take the picture of Grandma Ricks and photoshop her face in...except that then she would be sitting in a wheelchair, and that might be awkward. But what a nice Christmas gesture, and it does not sound like just a publicity stunt. Not to me anyway. Who saw him at the temple? All I can say is, as older sister to Cassidy, and therefore someone who gets a big say in who's good enough for her or not, he's climbing the ladder.
Eli, Grandmother said you got to be all three wise men in the Christmas pageant. Did you have to wear all three beards? Did you look like a goat? Was it heavy to carry all three gifts? She also said Tyson came. Did both he and Cody come, since they ARE family? What did everyone choose as their name in the Christmas basket upset game? What were the weirdest gifts in the present game?
Grandmother, thanks for the e-mail, and don't worry about not getting snail mail off. I haven't written you very recently either, and I feel bad about it, but my preparation day time always melts very quickly. Know that I appreciate very much the Thanksgiving package and the nativity scene. It looks wonderful atop our fridge and will bless missionaries for many years to come. Also, congratulations to Grant and Jeanne on a mission call to London. They will LOVE it! Are they working in the office? The prettiest building is the Houses of Parliament; the best tour is the extra one at Westminster Abbey; and the best museum in the Imperial War museum. I was just thinking about them this morning, so I must have known somehow I would receive great news about them. Of course, you and grandpa are doing a fabulous job serving as Mackay's unofficial missionary support system and in all your callings there. Mackay really needs you. I'm sure the missionary sisters will love and appreciate their scarves on those cold Idaho winter days.
Business notes: I'm not worried about the doctor thing either. I'm going to tell them that I feel very strongly that it is unnecessary, and hopefully the records from Dr. Mathews will convince him that I do, in fact, just have RA. I'm going to my primary care doctor this week, and he'll give me advice on the whole situation. If worse comes to worse, I'll just find a new rheumatologist who doesn't think I need a nerve conduction study.
I have not yet received the Christmas package, but I'm sure it'll arrive very shortly, so do not worry.
Last but certainly not least: a nine-foot pre-lit Christmas tree! Charlie Brown went all out this year! Way to go! Are our ceilings even that high? I'm sure it's lovely. Sister Kemp and I put our creative minds together and made our own Christmas tree out of two pieces of green posterboard. It looks rather Charlie-Brown-y, but also like a Who-ville Dr. Seuss creations, especially with the funky paper snowflakes we used to decorate it. Come to think of it, maybe that's some kind of weird snow beckoning ritual in Houston...
In any case, merry Christmas! And keep shining like the Christmas star, becasue I know I am!
Love,
Sister Whitney Sorensen
P.S. Mom, could you send a copy of the picture of me and Eli sitting on the kitchen floor eating popcorn? If you can find it of course. I was just wishing I had a copy for no real reason. And for clarification purposes Shia is commonly known as Elder Inkley, and Cedward is commonly known as Elder Bell. 

P.P.S. I'm trying to think of my favorite Lucy quote from a Charlie Brown Christmas...Which, come to think of it, we overheard someone say President Obama does NOT want shown on TV, although we didn't hear the reasons. YUCK! The whole idea just makes we want to shout, "I've been kissed by a dog!" Well, I think my favorite Lucy quote is when she's asking Charlie Brown if she can be the Christmas queen in the pageant. Or when she's talking to Schroeder and cannot figure out that he's playing "Jingle Bells." Or when she's giving Charlie Brown advice about being depressed at Christmastime. But my favorite part of course is the Charlie Brown dancing. Do it for me just once. I've already shown Sister Kemp my skills, and she was rightly impressed. As everyone should be. P.P.P.S. "You're my sweet baboo!" (That was just for you, Eli!)
No comments:
Post a Comment