Tuesday, December 29, 2009

12-28-09 "Reunited and It (Will) Feel So Good...

I know you're all sitting by the computer in breathless anticipation, wondering if I'm being transferred, so I might as well say very first that I get to stay in Tomball! Sister Kemp will be going to Katy, trading spots with Sister Hoskins, who will be joining me in Tomball on Wednesday. We are going to "tear up Tomball," in the words of Sister Hoskins. I'm really excited to be her companion again. We'll have a lot of fun together, and time on the mission is really starting to fly, probably more for me than it is for y'all at home. Therefore, any mail you need to send in the next six weeks (until approximately the first week of February) can be sent directly to our Tomball address, if you so desire. 29807 State Highway 249Tomball, TX 77375 (I think that's the zip code. Not positive, though. It might be 77377. Look it up if you can. You can access much more of the internet than I can.)
In the next six weeks, my goals are to: 1. find out about the "Jesus is Coming" song. 2. get a haircut, so my bangs look better from the Walmart disaster and so the length isn't dragging down the curl any longer. 3. complete a deep reading of First and possibly Second Nephi, which I have been working on for a few weeks, but I've been distracted by trying to read the entire conference Ensign. I figure those are some good goals, just like your goal to do one endowment every week, Mom. I'd make the same goal, but I'm in a slightly different place in life, so, maybe next year. But that's a whole year away.
I'm not really sure what to tell you, since we already chatted for so long on Friday night. I kind of shared all my news then, and I can't really think of anything too incredible that's happened since. Cassidy, I wanted to buy you a gift today, but, well, I didn't, because I thought you might already have one (a calendar) and I couldn't figure out how to send it. We were at Target, buying me a new journal this morning, and we saw a Jonas Brothers calendar. It was called, "Rock and Roll Royalty." Very natty. Very dorm room. Very us. Alas, only in my dreams did I purchase it for you.
Speaking of which, I had a rather strange dream last night, at least partially involving the family. We were all shopping at a greeting card/bookstore, only most of the greeting cards had already been written on, with personalized notes and everything. We were going through stacks of them, trying to find the ones meant for us. I remember thinking in the dream that some of them were hilarious, but I can no longer remember what any hilarious parts were. Perhaps it'll become some strange part of a story I write someday. Perhaps it's my calling as the Birthday Card Philosopher coming back to me the only way it knows how right now. Who knows?
And speaking of Rock Royalty, who has Beatles Rock Band? The Johnsons? I couldn't get the pictures to open on the computer I'm using today, so if it's obvious from the photos, I apologize. Long story short, our regular library is closed, and we're at the Barbara Bush library today. Actually, I think it's just A Barbara Bush library, but the computers don't do as many things here. Sounds like fun. Can't wait to try it, but until then, just have Eli learn to play the drums and watch the "Band on the Roof" episode of Even Stevens frequently for me.
Thanks for sending the hookarm story. You're right, though. It's not as cool when you're not around a campfire at girls' camp. It satiated my curiosity though. All the time now I just get these random memories coming back to me, so I'm trying to write them down in my Great Pumpkin journal so I have them all in one place.
Now, to the literary business of the day. Yes, I did meet Shannon Hale at a seminar. She is mostly a young adult fantasy writer, and the only things I've read by her are her Newbery Honor winning "Princess Academy" and a graphic novel about Rapunzel in the old west. She had a very dynamic personality, and she is a member of the Church. She also has a series, but I have not read any books in it yet. I had a hard time with "Princess Academy" because all the characters have weird names. I think it comes from my desire for all children to have normal, correctly-spelled names. Anyway, she also has two adult books, neither of which I have read, but which might be worth looking into. "Austenland" is I think about a lady who escapes to a theme park based on Jane Austen novels, and "The Actor and the Housewife" is new and is about, you guessed it, an actor and a housewife having a mail correspondence, although I think without the "You've Got Mail" romance angle. There. That paragraph stands as evidence that I haven't entirely forgotten my English major wealth of knowledge.
Hmmm, this e-mail feels so short, but I have nothing left to say, so I'll say "goodbye," since I know what that means about what you'll say next week. As for me and my first Texas Christmas, I'll use the words of another Beatles' classic. My favorite actually. "There are places I'll remember, all my life." That is one of them.

Love,


Sister Whitney Sorensen


P.S. I love y'all! (Do you think that would be a good twist on the Beatles' "P.S. I love you"? Think about it. The band could be called The Southern Beatles, or, more aptly, The Cockroaches. Blech. Nevermind. Too gross for words.)

P.P.S. Did you further know that if you accidentally misspell "blech" it comes out "belch"? Grosser.

P.P.P.S. I've got it! Let's call them "The Oneders!"

No comments:

Post a Comment